Tags

, , , , ,

I was a bit too busy actually making things yesterday to write about them. What with a coat of paint to the top of the piece I’m talking about today first thing in the morning before work then putting up shelves and moving around units in our daughters room after work it didn’t leave a lot of time for blogging.  I did, however, have time to learn some thing new and that was the term IKEA Hacking.

Shabbyside 015

I’ve been producing IKEA hacks for ages but had no idea that’s what it was called or even that there was a whole community out there doing it! What I do is to make the units look more traditional with a Gustavian/Shabby Chic/French style or at least try to while more people seem to be making them over with a more funky modern edge.

Anyway, we needed a new cupboard/side board in our new TV room to stand our TV on, to store the media machines in and of course to give some storage for DVD’s and Bluerays etc.

As we wanted it to both both quite long and for me to be able to fit a power strip internally we weren’t likely to find some thing in auction so the easiest thing to do was an IKEA hack. I started out with four 60×70 FAKTUM Kitchen Wall Units which I assembled as normal and attached together in two pairs.

Shabbyside 023

I wanted to use a wooden profile to create a plinth around the base of the unit. I attached a wooden batten along the front and sides of the two units.  Next I added FAKTUM legs to the bottom of each to allow me to level the finish unit on our notoriously uneven floors. Now I attached my profile (skirting board) to the batten with panel pins. As described here in the hall cupboard article I used a mitre block to cut the corners at 45 degrees.

Shabbyside 004I used 25mm (1 in) MDF to create a top for the units. I wanted to create a profiled edge to the surface to give a more traditional appearance. The are two ways I’ve used to do this either by using beading (profile moulding) around the edges or by using a router to do it.  It’s really easy once you’ve practised a few times and can add a lot to your furniture.

Shabbyside 017

The doors we used were 30×70 LIDINGÖ off white which I hung using IKEA hinges. The cabinets and doors were under painted in black, waxed with a candle stub, and then painted in a silk matt grey.  I’ve described the process of doing this here in the article on the sideboard. Once the final coat was dried I rubbed back the areas I’d waxed with a pan sourer to create a shabby worn look we like so much.

Shabbyside 020

The top of the cabinet we chose to paint in black as a contrast to the body this was an after thought to be honest but I think it was really worth the time to go back and repaint it. The final stage of painting was to use a glaze and a rag to add an aged look to the unit. Once the paint was dried I again used a liquid bee’s wax to improve the lustre.

Shabbyside 019

The door handles we found on a UK website and unusually is was actually me that chose them as the Prince of Wales Feathers in the centre are the same as my old army cap badge. I think taking the time to find unique handles rather than just using IKEA ones is really worth while when hacking furniture like this.

Thanks for visiting the Shabby Side of Chic

Shabbyside 016

Advertisements